Charles A. Berkey and 12 of his friends and associates formed the first Exchange Club in Detroit, Michigan on March 27, 1911. Although the Exchange Club officially organized and acquired its name that year, the foundation of the club was laid much earlier-as fare back as 1896. It was then that a group of men, representing a cross section of Detroit’s business and professional community, began to meet informally during the lunch hour to exchange ideas and information.
The principle of community service soon became the focus of club activity, and word of the organization spread. In 1913, and Exchange Club was formed in Toledo, Ohio. Soon, there were Exchange Clubs in Cleveland, Ohio and Grand Banks, Michigan as well. Representatives of these clubs met in Toledo in August 1917, and formally incorporated The National Exchange Club as a nonprofit, educational organization.
“Unity for Service” is the officially adopted motto of Exchange, and our official colors are blue and gold. In 1979 The National Exchange club adopted "Child Abuse Prevention" as a national project.
There are nearly 1000 Exchange Clubs, made up of nearly, 33,000 business and professional men and women.